During the creation of the adaptation strategy, South Huron established a series of eight goals to categorize the twenty-two priority impacts. This ensured that the action items to address the impacts were appropriately structured and provided the opportunity to consider related action items during the planning process. The implementation plan identified key components of each action item, including: description and scope of the action, implementation lead (both internal and external organizations), supporting department(s), associated plans, policies, projects and strategies, timing of implementation, duration and frequency, estimated resources required and potential partnership opportunities.
A full list of these actions is available on South Huron’s website, however, a few of them are identified below:
Goal 1: Integrate climate change adaptation into municipal planning, asset management and operations;
- Develop a qualitative climate lens tool to guide staff and Council decision-making.
Goal 2: Support municipal and community resilience awareness and action;
- Initiate community-wide conversation to provide information to the entire community (residents, businesses) about relevant climate change topics to provide the tools required to incorporate resilience on a community-wide scale.
Goal 3: Ensure community readiness and a coordinated response to extreme weather events;
- Conduct vulnerability assessment of critical infrastructure within municipal facilities and prioritize deficiencies required to be addressed to ensure resiliency.
Goal 4: Reduce risks to buildings, properties and people from flooding;
- Require developers to utilize best practices within site plan design to ensure risk of flooding within new developments is reduced.
Goal 5: Minimize disruption to municipal service delivery;
- Identify critical services; develop, document and train on contingency procedures
Goal 6: Reduce health and safety risks to municipal workers and community members from extreme temperatures;
- Develop an extreme temperature training program for municipal staff.
Goal 7: Protect and enhance the natural landscape to mitigate impact; and
- Development of a municipal-wide forest strategy
Goal 8: Strengthen the resiliency of municipal infrastructure and facilities.
- Incorporate climate change impacts into the inspection process and identified deficiencies related to municipal infrastructure and facilities are completed and remediated on a regular basis.
Additional Actions Identified:
- Eliminate single-use plastics within Municipal offices (Single-Use Plastics and Related Item Reduction Policy)